Questions about halacha of vaccination
Contrary to “popular opinion” vaccination, according to halacha, is not a simple matter. Following are some things a competent posek should consider when determining whether or not vaccination is/should be permitted.
- Vaccine developers encouraged women who had Rubella to abort their babies because they were certain to be horribly deformed. Turns out the first 26 did not have Rubella so it took until the 27th abortion to find a fetus with Rubella that they could harvest (RA27-3). They are continuing to abort fetuses for new vaccines in development and even abort them using a process to keep them alive as they harvest the live tissue needed.
- So are you allowed to kill someone in order to reduce the relatively minor risk to others of getting an illness? And if not, are you allowed to benefit from those that died.
- Assuming someone has really spent the hours researching the science and has concluded to the best of his ability that there is a very real risk of damage to every person getting the vaccine, even if this is a Safek because most doctors believe it is safe:
- Are they Mechuyav to take the vaccine?
- Are they allowed to take the vaccine?
- If there is some danger, are we allowed to force a Katan to accept risk to help other people?
- Is a school allowed to potentially destroy a child’s life by kicking them out?
- Is a doctor allowed to dismiss them from his practice?
- Are you allowed to speak Lashon Hara about a person who does not vaccinate based on the above?
- Are you allowed to denigrate them?
- Are you allowed to degenerate Rabbonim who Pasken not to take the vaccine by saying that they are making a “ridiculous argument”?
- Is a Rav allowed to Pasken on vaccines without hearing both sides?
- Is it appropriate for a Rav to tell an Avreich that he should give his wife a get over vaccines, and then advise him to vaccinate the children behind her back? (Name of Rav available if needed l’toeles)
- Is it proper for a Rav to turn his chair around to face the other direction and tell people coming to explain the other side that he won’t look at them, and they have five minutes (same Rav)?
- If a Rav reviewed all these details and determines that it is assur to take a vaccine, and thus writes a legitimate religious exemption, and the law of the land is to accept religious exemptions, does a yeshiva have an obligation or right to go beyond the secular law and not allow the child into school? What if they are a community school and not purely private?
- If a Rav paskens that vaccines are safe based on a few trusted sources without listening to doctors on the other side; and then someone is injured or dies from a vaccine they took based on his Psak, is the Posek chayav to pay for damages?
- Nedarim 81a: R. Yosi says you can use water to prevent (an unlikely) illness vs. giving to someone who has no water because Chayecha Kodmim. Chachamim agree if not enough drinking water for both.
Rodef Shalom’s letter to Poskim
It pains Rodef Shalom 613 greatly to say this. A significant percentage of Klal Yisrael’s Emunas Chachamim has been severely damaged. Not because of your Psak. But because some of you won’t even listen to the other side.
There are people who are being Moser Nefesh to arrange meetings between Rabbonim and doctors who can explain the other side; if only to understand and appreciate the pain their fellow yidden are suffering.
B”H, most Rabbonim have expressed an interest, or at least a willingness, to hear the other side. And learned a lot. Most Dayanim understand that you can’t Pasken without hearing both sides.
Inexplicably, some Rabbonim are not willing to meet with those doctors. Or they grudgingly agree to meet but are antagonistic, disrespectful, and are clearly not willing to even listen (the chillul Hashem in these cases is beyond description). Additionally, there are many reports of people coming to ask Shailos respectfully and detail their concerns. There are too many reports of Rabbonim not listening to their concerns.
To be Dan L’Caf Ze’chus, I will assume that either doctors you trust, told the Rav that those crazy “anti-vaxers” will never change their mind so don’t waste your time speaking with them. Or perhaps you met some vaccine skeptics who did not have all the facts straight and you believe you know all there is to say.
In one extreme case, people brought doctors to explain the other side, the Rav turned his chair to face away from them and said you have five minutes.
Another Rav humored doctors and legal experts by pretending to listen but barely paid any attention.
The sinas chinam, mesira, Lashon Harah, Shalom Bayis issues, etc., are directly related to your P’Sak that “you must vaccinate”. You may not intend for these consequences; but they are occuring.
If you read nothing else, at least read
- “Why doctors don’t recognize vaccine adverse events” which explains why doctors are simply not qualified to provide expert guidance on this topic. It is a toxicology issue and medical doctors are simply not trained in toxicology and
- “Which doctor should you rely on when making a decision about vaccines?” which explains that doctors receive very little to no education about vaccines. Perhaps take the time to research before Paskening.
Also, because 1 in 5,000 may not be enough for a doctor to notice, “statisticians, not doctors, are the only good judges” –Alfred Russel Wallace 1904
With all due respect to doctors, you are relying on the wrong set of experts.
Poskim – before you pasken or dismiss any concerns –
Read at least one of these books!
- Dissolving Illusions: Disease, Vaccines, and The Forgotten History (a must-read)
- How to End the Autism Epidemic
- Vaccine Epidemic: How Corporate Greed, Biased Science, and Coercive Government Threaten Our Human Rights, Our Health, and Our Children
- Miller’s Review of Critical Vaccine Studies: 400 Important Scientific Papers Summarized for Parents and Researchers
- Horrors of Vaccination Exposed and Illustrated
- Vaccines, Autoimmunity, and the Changing Nature of Childhood Illness
- Plague: One Scientist’s Intrepid Search for the Truth about Human Retroviruses and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Autism, and Other Diseases
- The HPV Vaccine On Trial: Seeking Justice For A Generation Betrayed
- Turtles All The Way Down: Vaccine Science and Myth
- The Vaccine Book
- Vaccines: A Reappraisal